UNC Charlotte Special Collections J. Murrey Atkins Library - Special Collections & University Archives

Skip to main content

Oasis and Omar Temples, N.M.S. (Charlotte, N.C.) records

 Collection
Identifier: MS0194

Scope and Contents

This collection is comprised primarily of correspondence of the Widows's Fund, a life insurance program for lodge members. Also includes general material on local lodges and architectural drawings for the Masonic Temple on South Tryon Street in downtown Charlotte (demolished 1987).

Dates

  • 1905 - 1947
  • 1924 - 1944

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.

Biographical / Historical

The Widows' Fund of the Oasis and Omar Temples of the Masons was organized in 1904. About one hundred Shriners belonged to the fund and paid one dollar for each death. In the beginning this fund was not considered insurance but a method of helping to care for families of departed brothers. The membership of the fund increased to about five thousand between 1904 and 1928, and the assessment increased to $2.20 per month regardless of the number of deaths. However, the depression took its toll and as membership loss overtook income, the Fund dwindled. In 1928 the Oasis Temple began searching for an alternative and held meetings with several insurance agencies in North and South Carolina. The Widows' Fund actively solicited new members into the insurance plan until 1932. By 1943, the Fund had approximately 800 members with a reserve of $300,000 and began a new round of solicitation.

Extent

25 Linear Feet

Overview

Primarily correspondence of the Widows's Fund, a life insurance program for lodge members. Also includes general material on local lodges and architectural drawings for the Masonic Temple in uptown Charlotte (demolished 1987).

Arrangement

Records are divided into the following series: 1. North Carolina Masonic Lodges (1933-1947); 2. Oasis and Omar Temples, N.M.S. (1905, 1922-1944).

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift of Dan L. Morrill, 1988; Purchase from Carolina Bookshop, Charlotte, N.C., 1994

Related Materials

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission Reports, survey and research report on the Masonic Temple (UNCC Manuscript 77 M275).

Processing Information

Processed by Alan Litehizer, 1993; updated by Randy Penninger, 1994.
Title
Oasis and Omar Temples, N.M.S. (Charlotte, N.C.) records
Status
Completed
Author
Alan Litehizer
Date
1993
Description rules
dacs

Repository Details

Part of the Manuscript Collections, J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections and University Archives, UNC Charlotte Repository

Contact:
Atkins Library, UNC Charlotte
9201 University City Blvd
Charlotte 28223 United Stated