Oasis and Omar Temples, N.M.S. (Charlotte, N.C.) records
Scope and Contents
This collection is comprised primarily of correspondence of the Widows's Fund, a life insurance program for lodge members. Also includes general material on local lodges and architectural drawings for the Masonic Temple on South Tryon Street in downtown Charlotte (demolished 1987).
- 1905 - 1947
- 1924 - 1944
- Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine for North America. Omar Temple (Charleston, S.C.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
Biographical / Historical
The Widows' Fund of the Oasis and Omar Temples of the Masons was organized in 1904. About one hundred Shriners belonged to the fund and paid one dollar for each death. In the beginning this fund was not considered insurance but a method of helping to care for families of departed brothers. The membership of the fund increased to about five thousand between 1904 and 1928, and the assessment increased to $2.20 per month regardless of the number of deaths. However, the depression took its toll and as membership loss overtook income, the Fund dwindled. In 1928 the Oasis Temple began searching for an alternative and held meetings with several insurance agencies in North and South Carolina. The Widows' Fund actively solicited new members into the insurance plan until 1932. By 1943, the Fund had approximately 800 members with a reserve of $300,000 and began a new round of solicitation.
25 Linear Feet
Primarily correspondence of the Widows's Fund, a life insurance program for lodge members. Also includes general material on local lodges and architectural drawings for the Masonic Temple in uptown Charlotte (demolished 1987).
Records are divided into the following series: 1. North Carolina Masonic Lodges (1933-1947); 2. Oasis and Omar Temples, N.M.S. (1905, 1922-1944).
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Dan L. Morrill, 1988; Purchase from Carolina Bookshop, Charlotte, N.C., 1994
Processed by Alan Litehizer, 1993; updated by Randy Penninger, 1994.
- Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine for North America. Omar Temple (Charleston, S.C.)
- Charlotte (N.C.) -- Social life and customs
- Freemasons -- North Carolina -- Charlotte
- Historic buildings -- North Carolina -- Charlotte
- Men -- Societies and clubs
- Oasis and Omar Temple, N.M.S. (Charlotte, N.C.)
- Oasis and Omar Temples, N.M.S. (Charlotte, N.C.) records
- Alan Litehizer
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script