Charles K. Johnston comic book collection
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of comic books published during the Silver Age (1956-1972) of American comic books, from a variety of publishers including DC Comics, Marvel Comics, Archie Comics, Charlton Comics, and Gilberton. Notable issues include: Detective Comics No. 359 and Journey Into Mystery #83.
- 1955 - 1968
- Johnston, Charles K. (Person)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
The Johnston Comic Book Collection is the physical property of J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections. Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
The collection was donated to the Aktins Library by UNC Charlotte student Charles K. Johnston in 1968, prior to his departure for United States Army Basic Training.
3.75 Linear Feet (7 Comic Book Storage Boxes; 1 oversize box)
The collection was donated by UNC Charlotte student Charles K. Johnston in 1968 and consists of comic books published during the Silver Age (1956-1972) of American comic books.
This collection includes nineteen series, arranged alphabetically:
- ABC Television Network, 1967
- American Comic Group, 1967
- Archie Comics Publications, 1962-1965
- Charlton Comics, 1964-1968
- DC Comics, 1965-1968
- Dell Comics, 1961-1968
- Gilberton, 1945-1967
- Gold Key, 1955-1968
- Harvey Thrillers, 1966-1967
- King Comics, 1966-1967
- Lightning Comics, 1967
- Marvel Comics, 1962-1968
- M.F. Enterprises, 1966-1967
- Mighty Comics, 1966-1967
- Parents' Magazine, 1965
- Stanley Publications, 1966
- Super Comics, 1964
- Tower Action Series, 1966-1967
- Warren Publishing, 1961-1965
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Charles K. Johnston, 1968.
- Adventure story comics
- Comic books
- Comic books, strips, etc. -- United States
- Fantasy comic books, strips, etc. -- United States
- Horror comic books, strips, etc. -- United States
- Johnston, Charles K.
- Pulp literature, American
- Science fiction comic books, strips, etc. -- United States
- Serials (publications)
- Superhero comics
- Charles K. Johnston Comic Book Collection
- Stacy Rue
- April 2014
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note