UNC Charlotte Special Collections J. Murrey Atkins Library - Special Collections & University Archives

Skip to main content

Dalton Institute records

 Collection
Identifier: MS0298

Scope and Contents

The Dalton Institute Records is a small collection of material left behind from a boarding school in Stokes County, North Carolina. The history of this school is mostly obscured by the lack of records left to posterity. In fact, the Dalton Institute existed for only thirty-six years. Materials included in this collection are correspondence (2 items addressed to W.A. Flynt), five enrollment books spanning from 1879 to 1902, and lecture notes covering a variety of subjects (the Institutes of Christianity, US government, mineralogy, and philosophy). The most revealing items in this small collection are five enrollment books, which indicate the names of the students, the courses they took, the fees they paid, and their attendance. In addition, these books also indicate that the Dalton Institute was a co-educational school, with a “female department.”

Dates

  • 1878-1902

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.

Biographical / Historical

The Dalton Institute was a private boarding school in Stokes County, N.C. and operated in the latter part of the nineteenth century and early twentieth century. There is only a brief and rather obscure history available. In fact, the tangible evidence left behind leaves many gaps and unanswered questions concerning this institute and its history. Besides being listed in Patterson's College and School Directory, 1909, and Patterson's American Eductional Directory, 1919 (Patterson's continued to list the Institute beyond the dates known for its operation), what little we know of this school exists in the form of a one paragraph essay, probably written by Samuel S. Dalton, a relative of one of the school’s founders. The Dalton Institute, which existed from 1872 to 1908, was located in Dalton, Stokes County, North Carolina. Two pieces of correspondence addressed to W. A. Flynt indicate that he was the headmaster, and an instructor. His sister taught the lower classes: reading, writing, arithmetic, and Latin. David N. Dalton built a house for Professor Flynt in 1875. Flynt must have taught there for most of the years of its operation. He is listed as teacher there in the Biennial Report of the Superintendent of Public Instruction of North Carolina for the scholastic years 1896-'97 and 1897-'98. Most years, there were about twenty-five students, and the enrollment records indicate that the Flynt’s taught both boys and girls—girls were separated into their own department. As a boarding school, boys were housed in the Flynt, Dalton, and Snyder houses. Girls lived in the Schultz house. Most of the students were from around the Dalton, Mount Airy, Germantown, Winston-Salem, Kernersville, Greensboro, and High Point area. One notable alum was Edwin Kiser, a Republican Representative in the General Assembly in 1917 from Stokes County who attended Dalton Institute in 1887, 1888, and 1889.

Extent

1.25 Linear Feet

Language

English

Overview

Lecture notes, correspondence and enrollment books from a private boarding school in Stokes County, NC.

Arrangement

This collection is arranged into three series, beginning with a series containing two letters addressed to W.A. Flynt, the headmaster and instructor of the Dalton Institute. This is followed by a series of lecture notes on a variety of subjects taught at the Dalton Institute. Series III contains five student enrollment books, from 1872 to 1902.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Tony Crumbley, 2002.

Processing Information

Processed by Robert A. McInnes, August 2005
Title
Dalton Institute records
Status
Completed
Author
Robert A. McInnes
Date
2005
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Manuscript Collections, J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections and University Archives, UNC Charlotte Repository

Contact:
Atkins Library, UNC Charlotte
9201 University City Blvd
Charlotte 28223 United Stated