Carver College records
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of scattered issues of the catalog, director's annual reports, curriculum proposals, planning documents, and building plans. NOTE: The Addison H. Reese Papers contain material concerning the building of the new campus and a lawsuit challenging separate facilities for Carver and Charlotte colleges. The minutes of the Board of Trustees of the Charlotte Community College System are in the University Archives, and additional documentation on Carver College may be found in the Records of Charlotte College, 1949-60, and the Chancellor's Subject Files, 1960-65.
- 1957 - 1965
- Carver College (Charlotte, N.C.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
Carver College was established in 1949 under the direction of the Charlotte City School Board and was the black counterpart of Charlotte College. Carver operated initially as a night school designed primarily to meet the educational needs of returning World War II veterans. Programs included three divisions: a college transfer curriculum leading to an associate of arts degree; a vocational training program; and an accelerated high school unit. Classes were held at Second Ward High School. Under the state Community College Act of 1957, control of Carver College was transferred in 1958 from the city school board to the newly created Board of Trustees of the Charlotte Community College System. On December 19, 1961, the board of trustees changed the name of Carver College to Mecklenburg College; and in January, 1962, a new campus was opened at I-85 and Hoskins Road. In 1963, Mecklenburg College and the Industrial Education Center combined to form Central Piedmont Community College.
4.6 Linear Feet
Materials relating to Carver College, which was operated by the Charlotte City School Board (1949-58) and the Charlotte Community College System (1958-63) as the predominately black counterpart of predominately white Charlotte College. Contains catalogs, annual reports, curriculum proposals, planning documents, and building plans. Renamed Mecklenburg College, the school merged with the Industrial Education Center in 1963 to form Central Piedmont Community College
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Diocese of Charlotte, 1990; Transfer from UNC Charlotte University Archives, 1995; Unknown.
- Carver College records
- Description rules
- Language of description