UNC Charlotte Special Collections J. Murrey Atkins Library - Special Collections & University Archives

Skip to main content

Charlotte Woman's Club records

 Collection
Identifier: MS0056

Scope and Contents

Records of Charlotte's oldest civic organization, founded in 1899. Includes minutes, newsletters, programs, financial records, scrapbooks, correspondence, and membership applications.

Dates

  • 1901 - 1989

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.

Biographical / Historical

The Charlotte's Women's Club is the oldest civic organization in Charlotte. Organized in 1899 as the Study Club for Mothers, that group enlarged its membership and civic activities in 1902 and became the Charlotte Woman's Club. The Club joined the North Carolina Federation of Women's Clubs in 1903 and the General Federation of Women's Clubs in 1908. Incorporation occurred in 1920. The Club's house on 1001 East Morehead Street, designed by noted Charlotte architect Charles C. Hook, was designated a Charlotte-Mecklenburg historic landmark in 1978. Involved in numerous civic activities, the Club established the city's first kindergarten, staffed the bus and Southern Railway stations during both World Wars, and organized the YWCA, PTA, and Traveler's Aid in Charlotte.

Extent

3 Linear Feet

Overview

The Charlotte's Women's Club is the oldest civic organization in Charlotte. Organized in 1899 as the Study Club for Mothers, that group enlarged its membership and civic activities in 1902 and became the Charlotte Woman's Club. Includes minutes, newsletters, programs, financial records, 1924 register, scrapbooks, correspondence, and membership applications.

Processing Information

Processed by Erin Winslow, 1992.
Title
Charlotte Woman's Club records
Status
Completed
Date
September 1992
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Manuscript Collections, J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections and University Archives, UNC Charlotte Repository

Contact:
Atkins Library, UNC Charlotte
9201 University City Blvd
Charlotte 28223 United Stated