UNC Charlotte Special Collections J. Murrey Atkins Library - Special Collections & University Archives

Skip to main content

Hopewell Presbyterian Church (Huntersville, N.C.) records

 Collection
Identifier: MS0248

Scope and Contents

This collection contains eight Books of Session Minutes (1843-1959), which include church membership lists, baptismal records, and minutes of the meetings. Also includes church treasurer's records, Sunday School Record Books, and minutes, membership lists, and financial accounts of the Ladies Missionary Society, the Woman's Auxiliary, and the Women of the Church.

Dates

  • 1817 - 1970

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.

Biographical / Historical

Hopewell Presbyterian Church was founded in 1762. The first congregates met in the home of Richard Barry and then in a log cabin built in 1765. The first installed pastor of Hopewell was the Rev. Samuel Craighead Caldwell, who became pastor of both Hopewell and Sugaw Creek Presbyterian churches in 1792. In 1831, the current sanctuary was completed and is listed as a local historical landmark (see survey and research report in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission Reports). The Ladies Missionary Society was organized "On Saturday preceding the 1st Sabbath of May 1876 [May 7, 1876]" by the women of the congregation. Around 1917, the group became known as the Woman's Auxiliary. The Women of the Church, as the organization is now known, and its predecessors organized the various women's circles (for example, Ella Houston and Lynn Moore) and collected funds for charitable organizations. [For more information, see Charles William Sommerville, The History of Hopewell Presbyterian Church: For 175 Years From the Assigned Date of Its Organization, 1762 (1939) and the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission survey and research report on the church (1987).]

Extent

3 Linear Feet (circa 250 items, including 55 volumes)

Language

English

Overview

Records of the one of the oldest Presbyterian churches in Mecklenburg County, including minutes of the Session (1843-1959); records of the treasurer (1817-73, 1940-56); minutes of the Board of Deacons (1954-58); and minutes and accounts of the Ladies Missionary Society (1876-1917), Girls Aid Society (1880-90), Sunday School secretary (1905-39), Women's Auxiliary (1922-46), Ella Houston and Lynn Moore Circles (1929-34), Bible Class (1938-39), and Women of the Church (1955-69). Also includes the farm diary (1903-13, 1920) of member A. W. Alexander.

Arrangement

The Hopewell Presbyterian Church Records are organized in a single, alphabetical series by folder title.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Loan by Hopewell Presbyterian Church, 1997.

Related Materials

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmark Commission Reports, survey and research report on Hopewell Presbyterian Church (UNCC Manuscript 77 H665).

Processing Information

Processed by Robin Dorfer, October 1998.
Title
Hopewell Presbyterian Church (Huntersville, N.C.) Records
Status
Completed
Author
Finding aid written by Robin Dorfer
Date
October 1998
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Manuscript Collections, J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections and University Archives, UNC Charlotte Repository

Contact:
Atkins Library, UNC Charlotte
9201 University City Blvd
Charlotte 28223 United Stated