William H. Platt papers
Scope and Contents
Letters (photocopies) from William H. Platt and his brother Jesse K. Platt, to their father on Long Island, while serving in the 5th, 127th and 146th regiments, New York Volunteers, (Zouave regiments), describe battles, marches, camp life and William's capture by Confederate forces, imprisonment, and eventual release in a prisoner exchange. Also discharge and pension papers, estate papers and miscellaneous documents.
- 1862 - 1937
- 1862 - 1865
- Platt, Jesse K. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
Biographical / Historical
William H. Platt and his brother Jesse K. Platt left their home on Long Island, and served in the 5th, 127th and 146th regiments, New York Volunteers, (Zouave regiments). William was captured by Confederate forces, imprisoned, and eventually released in a prisoner exchange.
1.0E-6 Linear Feet
Photocopies of letters written by William H. Platt of Port Jefferson, N.Y., to members of his family, while he was serving with the 5th and 146th New York regiments, in northern Virginia, 1862-1865; letters from Platt's brother, Jesse K. Platt, serving with the 127th New York Regiment in Virginia and South Carolina, 1862-1864.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Photocopies donated by Esther Platt Osborne and Dr. William Terry Osborne, 1970.
Existence and Location of Originals
Originals believed to be in possession of Esther Platt Osborne's descendants (as of 3/13/2015).
- Platt, Jesse K.
- Platt, William H.
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence
- United States -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States. Army. New York Infantry Regiment (127th) (1862-1865)
- United States. Army. New York Infantry Regiment (146th) (1862-1865)
- United States. Army. New York Infantry Regiment (5th) (1861-1863)
- Virginia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- William H. Platt papers
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note