UNC Charlotte Special Collections J. Murrey Atkins Library - Special Collections & University Archives

Skip to main content

St. Mark's Episcopal Church records

 Collection
Identifier: MS0084

Scope and Contents

This collection contains minutes, membership lists, and financial accounts of the Women's Auxiliary and Guild; a church history; and an address by Heriot Clarkson at St. Mark's in 1933.

Dates

  • 1904 - 1940

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.

Biographical / Historical

St. Mark's Episcopal Church was founded in 1884 under the guidance of Joseph Blount Cheshire, rector of St. Peter's Episcopal Church in Charlotte and later bishop of the Diocese of North Carolina. A church building was erected in 1886-87, which is listed as a local historical landmark (see report on church in Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission Reports). The women of the church were formed into two groups, the Auxiliary and the Guild. The Auxiliary performed social services and works, while the Guild concerned itself with the physical maintenance of the church. Although the groups shared a common membership, they maintained separate sets of officers. The groups participated in a variety of money-raising events to fund their particular projects; a common project for both groups was selling their hand-made quilts and sponsoring bazaars.

Extent

4 Linear Feet

Language

English

Overview

Selected records and histories of a northern Mecklenburg Co. congregation, founded in 1884. Includes minutes, membership lists, and financial accounts of the Women's Auxiliary and Women's Guild; a church history by Bishop Joseph Blount Cheshire Jr. (1927); and an address about Cheshire by Judge Heriot Clarkson (1933).

Arrangement

The collection is arranged into the following three series, with one photocopied scrapbook that does not belong to any series. The three series are:

Parish Business and Correspondence (1960-1999), Parish profile and history and Photographs.

Physical Location

Long Creek Community (N.C.); Mecklenburg County (N.C.)

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift of St. Mark's Women's Auxiliary and Guild, 1983. Gift of William K. Blythe, 1987. Gift of Tom Nisbet, 1989.

Related Materials

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission Reports (Mss 77): St. Mark's Episcopal Church ; McCoy Family Papers (Mss 409).

Separated Materials

Guide book for Young People's Organizations (Rare BX5975 .F53 1932)
Title
St. Mark's Episcopal Church records
Status
Completed
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Manuscript Collections, J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections and University Archives, UNC Charlotte Repository

Contact:
Atkins Library, UNC Charlotte
9201 University City Blvd
Charlotte 28223 United Stated