UNC Charlotte Special Collections J. Murrey Atkins Library - Special Collections & University Archives

Skip to main content

Home Federal Savings and Loan Association records

 Collection
Identifier: MS0255

Scope and Contents

This collection is comprised almost exclusively of ledger books. They contain entries about loans, monthly and annual statements, and stockholders. Also includes a booklet documenting the centennial of Home Federal, "Only the Strong Survive: Home Federal's First One Hundred Years" (1983)

Dates

  • 1883 - 1950

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.

Biographical / Historical

In 1883, local wholesale merchant Samuel Wittkowsky and a group of investors founded the Mechanics Perpetual Building and Loan Association in Charlotte. Wittkowsky, a Prussian of Jewish descent who came to America in 1853, served as the first president of the Charlotte Chamber of Commerce in 1879. Within the first quarter century of its existence, Mechanics Perpetual survived two national financial panics -- the first in 1893 and the second in 1907. Col. R. E. Cochrane served as the managing officer during Mechanics Perpetual's first 34 years. E. J. Caffrey followed in 1917, with the institution claiming by then more than $1,500,000.00 in assets. In 1925, the Mechanics Perceptual bought and remodeled a building on East 4th Street for its headquarters. As with the previous financial crises, Mechanics Perceptual weathered the Great Depression -- this time primarily by collecting rent and by making improvements on foreclosed property to be sold at a later date. T. G. Barbour became the Mechanics Perpetual's chief managing officer in 1937. Under his management, the institution adopted a federal charter in 1943 and changed its name to the Home Federal Savings and Loan Association. With the name change also came dramatic growth in assets -- from $3,000,000.00 in 1943 to $14,000,000.00 by 1954. In another year, that total surged more than 25% to $19,000,000.00. Once again the need to move took Home Federal to a new home at the corner of Tryon and Fourth Streets in the former Buford Hotel Building. That move lasted little more than a decade when Home Federal decided to demolish the building in 1965 and construct a modern, 7-story office building in its place. The new headquarters, which opened in 1967, also brought a new president and managing officer, J. J. Martin Jr. By 1973, Home Federal had amassed $100,000,000.00 in assets. That number would triple in less than 8 years. The 1960s also saw the opening of Home Federal's first branch in the Park Road Shopping Center in Charlotte (1962). H. Joe King Jr. became president and managing officer in 1974, a position he held until Home Federal's acquisition by First Charter Corporation in 1998. Duvall Investment Group Inc. bought the former Home Federal Savings Building at 139 South Tryon Street in 1999.

Extent

4 Linear Feet

Language

English

Overview

Minute books and financial records of one of Charlotte's oldest businesses, founded in 1883 by Samuel Wittkowsky as the Mechanics Perpetual Building and Loan Association. Acquired by First Charter Corporation in 1998.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift of Home Federal Savings & Loan Association through Dorothy Robbins, December, 1998.
Title
Home Federal Savings and Loan Association Records
Status
Completed
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Manuscript Collections, J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections and University Archives, UNC Charlotte Repository

Contact:
Atkins Library, UNC Charlotte
9201 University City Blvd
Charlotte 28223 United Stated