Stanbrook Abbey Press publications
Scope and Contents
Ephemeral publications of a monastic press established in England in 1876, operated by nuns of the English Benedictine Congregation, and dedicated to the art of fine printing and perfection in typographical design. Includes several items with hand-colored illustrations. Dates in descriptions below do not appear on the items but were taken from "Books from the Stanbrook Abbey Press and the Vine Press," a pamphlet describing the Times Bookshop's exhibit of fine press materials.
- 1959 - 1963
- Stanbrook Abbey. Press (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
Biographical / Historical
Stanbrook Abbey was originally built as a contemplative house for Benedictine nuns. It was founded in 1625 in Cambrai, Flanders, then part of the Spanish Netherlands, under the auspices of the English Benedictine Congregation. The English Benedictine Congregation later re-located to Wass in the North York Moors National Park. The Abbey is famous for its printing shop and well known for its technical excellence. From the very beginning, it was dedicated to the art of fine printing and perfection in typographical design. These standards developed from the Benedictine philosophy that work is a pure form of worship, and that the products of work are the supreme expression of the praise of God. The Stanbrook Abbey Press was at one time the oldest private press in England, and acquired an international reputation for fine printing under Dames Hildelith Cumming and Felicitas Corrigan. The translations of the writings of St. Teresa of Avila are still in print a century after their publication. However, although digital printing and publishing continues at the Abbey on a small scale, the fine letterpress printing which made the Press famous had ceased by 1990.
10 Linear Feet
Publications of the Stanbrook Abbey Press, a monastic press established by Friar Laurence Shepherd in Worcester, England in 1876, and operated by the nuns of the English Benedictine Congregation. The publications feature hand-set printing on handmade papers, and were sometimes illuminated.
- Guide to the Stanbrook Abbey Press collection
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note