Spirit Square Center for Arts and Educations records
Scope and Contents
This collection is comprised of the historical records of the Spirit Square Center for Arts and Education, Inc. Includes files on performers, press releases, season previews, and administrative material. The original order of these files has been maintained. [NOTE: some of the Center's records have been retained by the last executive director for the purpose of researching and writing an organizational history. These files are denoted by italics.]
- 1975 - 1997
- Spirit Square Center for the Arts (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
Biographical / Historical
The Spirit Square Center for the Arts and Education, Inc., served a dual role during its 21-year existence from 1976 to 1997. First, its location in the former First Baptist Church of Charlotte sanctuary at 318 North Tryon Street provided a venue for a variety of musical and theatrical performances, art classes and studios, and gallery space. Second, it served as an incubator of fledgling arts groups, including the Charlotte Repertory Theater and the Light Factory. In 1997, the original governing body of the Center was dissolved and its archives were transferred to UNC Charlotte the following year [see note in Scope and Content]. The North Carolina Blumenthal Performing Arts Center now manages the Spirit Square facility. [For information about the physical structure, see the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission Reports, First Baptist Church (UNCC Manuscript 77 F5).]
92 Linear Feet (circa 64,800 items)
Corporate, financial and program records of Spirit Square Center for Arts and Education, Inc. in Charlotte, N.C. During its 21-year existence (1976-1997) Spirit Square Center provided a venue for musical and theatrical performances, art classes and studios, and gallery space. It also served as an incubator for fledgling art groups, including the Charlotte Repertory Theater and the Light Factory.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Spirit Square Center for Arts and Education, Inc., 1997.
Processed by Saphronia Barrett, 1998.
- Art -- North Carolina -- Charlotte -- Exhibitions
- Art -- North Carolina -- Charlotte -- Study and teaching
- Charlotte Repertory Theatre (Charlotte, N.C.)
- Light Factory (Charlotte, N.C.)
- Mecklenburg County (N.C.)
- Music -- Performance -- North Carolina -- Charlotte
- Performing arts -- North Carolina -- Charlotte
- Repertory theater -- North Carolina -- Charlotte
- Spirit Square Center for the Arts
- Theatrical companies -- North Carolina -- Charlotte
- Inventory of the Spirit Square Center for Arts and Education
- In Progress
- Finding aid written by Saphronia Barrett.
- Description rules
- Language of description