The Carolina Motor Club was established as an AAA franchise on September 15, 1922 in Greensboro, North Carolina, with founder Coleman W. Roberts being named the executive head. By 1924, branch offices were operating in Asheville, Charlotte, Gastonia, Goldsboro, Greenville, Waynesville, Kinston, Morganton, Wilmington, and Winston-Salem. The headquarters eventually moved to Charlotte in 1937. The Club was central to the development of the tourism industry in both states, through its publications and promotion of the region to a national audience. It also played a key role in shaping automobile legislation, lobbying successful for the creation of a State Highway Patrol in North Carolina in 1929 and the introduction of drivers education to the state's high schools in 1957. In the 1980s, the Club underwent a name change from the Carolina Motor Club to AAA Carolinas.