Davidson family papers
Scope and Contents
This collection is comprised of correspondence, financial records, and legal documents, documenting primarily the Davidson Family connected to Rural Hill plantation in northern Mecklenburg County. Other material pertains to the related families of Alexander, Barry, Hampton, Montieth, and Wilson.
- 1756 - 1998
- 1833 - 1976
- Davidson family (Family)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
Biographical / Historical
The Davidson family has been prominent in Mecklenburg County since colonial times. Major John Davidson (1735-1832) was born in Lancaster County, Pa. to Robert and Isabella Ramsay Davidson. They emigrated to America from Ulster, Ireland, where their parents had settled after moving from Scotland. [Some chroniclers believe Robert and Isabella emigrated to America directly from Scotland.] Robert died soon after the birth of his daughter, Mary. The widowed Isabella moved her family to North Carolina in the early 1750s, settling on the Yadkin River near Salisbury. There she married Henry Hendry, a schoolteacher believed to have been educated at the College of New Jersey (now Princeton University). Among Hendry’s pupils were his stepchildren, John and Mary. In 1759, John, a blacksmith by trade, moved to what is now Mecklenburg County (created from Anson County in 1762), bringing Mary with him as his housekeeper. The following year, he married Violet Winslow Wilson (1742-1818), the eldest daughter of Samuel Wilson, one Mecklenburg’s wealthiest landowners, and Mary Winslow Wilson. [Violet's sister, Mary, married Ezekiel Polk. One of their grandsons was President James K. Polk.] John obtained a grant in 1767 for land on the Catawba River in Mecklenburg County. There he built a log house, Rural Retreat. In 1788 he built Rural Hill, a redbrick mansion destroyed by fire in 1886 [NOTE: The Charlotte Observer, in reporting the fire, described the house as "the finest country residence in all this section of the State."]. During the colonial period, John served as a justice of the peace and as a member of the North Carolina House of Commons for Mecklenburg County. He and Thomas Polk were instrumental in the passage of a bill making Charlotte the permanent county seat of Mecklenburg (March 19, 1774). With the takeover of the colonial government in 1775, John was elected to the Committee of Safety for Mecklenburg County. He was a signer of the legendary Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence. John served as a major in the local militia during the Revolutionary War. He also played a key role in developing Lincoln County's iron industry. He and two of his sons-in-law--Captain Alexander Brevard and Major Joseph Graham--established Vesuvius Furnace, the state's first iron mine. They also operated the Tirzah forge, which supplied American forces with cannon balls during the War of 1812. John and Violet had ten children: Rebecca (1762-1824; m. Capt. Alexander Brevard, 1784); Isabella (1764-1808; m. Gen. Joseph Graham, 1787); Mary Polly (1766-1862; m. Dr. William Maclean, 1792); Robert (1769-1853, m. Margaret M. Osborne, 1801); Violet (1771-1821; m. William Bain Alexander, 1791); Sarah "Sallie" (1774-1842; m. Rev. Alexander Caldwell, 1794); Margaret (1777-1830; m. James Harris, 1813); John "Jacky" Jr. (1779-1870) [see below]; Elizabeth "Betsy Lee" (1782-1845) [see below]; and Benjamin Wilson (1787-1829; m. Elizabeth Latta, 1818). Elizabeth married William Lee Davidson Jr. (1781-1862), son of Mary Brevard and Gen. William Lee Davidson (1746-81). The general served in the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War and died at the Battle of Cowan's Ford. His father, George Davidson of Rowan County, may have been a brother or first cousin of John Davidson's father, Robert. Elizabeth and William settled in Mecklenburg County and gave the land for Davidson College, which opened in 1837 and is named for General Davidson. Major John Davidson died in 1832 while living with Elizabeth and William Lee Jr. on their Beaver Dam plantation. He is buried in the family graveyard near Tool's Ford, on the Catawba River, just south of the original mansion house on Neck Road in the Hopewell section of Mecklenburg County. John "Jacky" Jr., who inherited Rural Hill, married Sarah "Sally" Harper Brevard in 1800. In 1849, John Jr. gave Rural Hill to his son, Adam Brevard (1808-96). Adam married Mary Laura Springs (1813-72) in 1836. Among their fifteen children were John Springs [see below] and Edward Lee Baxter (1858-1944). Following the death of his first wife, Adam married Cornelia Elmore (1835-1921) in 1876. John Springs Davidson (1838-99) inherited Rural Hill from his father. He married Martha Abigail "Minnie" Caldwell (1840-98), daughter of Dr. David T. Caldwell of Rosedale plantation, in 1864. They gave Rural Hill to their son Joseph Graham (1868-1949), who married Annie May Alexander (1881-1969) in 1904. The latter’s children--John Springs (1906-98), Elizabeth, and May--inherited Rural Hill [son Joseph Graham Jr. died in 1943]. Mecklenburg County bought Rural Hill from them in 1991. John and Minnie Davidson's son, Baxter Craighead Davidson (1875-1947), as a young boy, went to live with his aunt and uncle, Alice and Baxter Caldwell, at Rosedale, an 1815 plantation house in Charlotte. He married Louise Heagy of Jacksonville, Fla. (1891-1958) in 1914. They had two daughters: Mary Louise (1916-96) and Alice [Abel] (b. 1926).
3 Linear Feet
Papers of the Davidson family of Rural Hill Plantation in northern Mecklenburg County, N.C., and of the related families Alexander, Barry, Hampton, Montieth, and Wilson. Includes correspondence, family Bibles, financial records, land records, newspaper clippings, photographs, and plantation records for Rural Hill, as well as Dickson (Dixon) in Gaston County, N.C.
The collection is arranged into seven series, one of which (Photographs) is further divided into several subseries. The seven series are: Davidson Family (1830-1998), Alexander Family (1857-1993), Related Families (1795-1991), Family Bibles (1839-1872), History and Memorabilia (1930-1976), Genealogical Notes and Photographs (1860-1943).
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Ann Trotter, 1992; Gift of May Davidson, Caroline Grey, and John Springs Davidson, 1993; Gift of Elizabeth Davidson and May Davidson, 1993; Gift of Elizabeth Davidson, 1995; Miriam Wilson Smith, 2014.
Richard B. McCaslin, Portraits of Conflict: A Photographic History of North Carolina in the Civil War (Fayetteville, Ark.: The University of Arkansas Press, 1997).
Processed by Shaela Ingham, Rebecca Royals, and Joanna Goltzman, 1998.
- Alexander family
- Barry family
- Davidson family
- Davidson family
- Dickson Plantation (N.C.)
- Gaston County (N.C.)
- Hampton family
- Mecklenburg County (N.C.)
- Mecklenburg County (N.C.)
- Mecklenburg County (N.C.) -- Genealogy
- Montieth family
- Plantations -- North Carolina -- Gaston County
- Plantations -- North Carolina -- Mecklenburg County
- Rural Hill Plantation (N.C.)
- Wilson family
- Davidson family papers
- Shaela Ingham, Rebecca Royals, and Joanna Goltzman
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note