UNC Charlotte Special Collections J. Murrey Atkins Library - Special Collections & University Archives

Skip to main content

Founding and Development, 1949-1967, 2004-2005

 Series

Scope and Contents

This series documents the development of Charlotte College including its days under the Charlotte Community College System and the organization of an advisory board as well as the campaign to grant the college four-year status and the closely related drive to have it included as the fourth campus of the University of North Carolina.

Selection and physical expansion of the campus makes up a large portion of the records and includes building plans, budget estimates, correspondence with the architects, reports and correspondence of the consultants Englehardt, Englehardt, and Leggett relating to long-range planning and construction requirements, and material on numerous dedications both of buildings and of the campus bell. Files relating to the barn that was originally on the campus site are also included.

Other topics of note are the incorporation documents from 1958; a proposed charter from 1963; the selection of an alma mater, rings, a symbol, and colors for the college; and the Wynn lawsuit against the Board of Trustees, which charged the use of public funds to perpetuate racial segregation in the community college system.

An illuminated manuscript of the prayer delivered on the occasion of the passage of the bill to make Charlotte College a campus of The University of North Carolina, March 2, 1965, is among the records in this series. The prayer was written and delivered by the Reverend Doctor Loy H. Witherspoon, Chaplain of Charlotte College. It was engrossed and illuminated by Mr. Bill Mitchell, Sr. and was presented to UNC Charlotte by the Charlotte Central Lions Club on February 24, 1967, to note the anniversary of the passage of legislation creating the University.

Also in manuscript format and included in this series is the Resolution and Indenture of the Board of Trustees of Charlotte College and the University of North Carolina certifying the action of the North Carolina General Assembly establishing the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. Dated June 17, 1965, the Resolution was signed by Bonnie Cone, Secretary to the Board of Trustees. Board of Trustees Chairman, Addison H. Reese, signed the Indenture, dated June 30. Dan K. Moore, Governor of North Carolina, accepted the Indenture July 1, 1965. There are three copies of the Resolution and Indenture; Governor Moore signed only one copy.

Five subseries and eight single files make up this series. The subseries are as follows: Charlotte Community College System; Site Selection and Campus Development; Advisory Board and Budget Commission; Four-Year College; and Fourth Campus.

Related material can be found in the Trustees folders in the Administration series and in the Governor’s Commission on Education beyond the High School, the North Carolina Board of Higher Education, and the North Carolina State Government folders in the Local, State, and Federal Government series.

Dates

  • 1949-1967, 2004-2005
  • 1949-1965

Accessing the Collection

Some material (e.g. student and personnel records) restricted.

Extent

From the Collection: 33.418 Linear Feet (29 boxes (22 record cartons, 1 - 5" document case; 2 slim document cases; 3 flat boxes, 1 oversize box))

Language

English

Creator

Repository Details

Part of the University Archives, J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections and University Archives, UNC Charlotte [All collections not yet online. For assistance, contact Special Collections: spec-coll@uncc.edu; 704-687-1170] Repository

Contact:
Atkins Library, UNC Charlotte
9201 University City Blvd
Charlotte NC 28223 United States