UNC Charlotte Special Collections J. Murrey Atkins Library - Special Collections & University Archives

Skip to main content

Charlotte College Foundation records

 Collection
Identifier: UA0142

Scope and Contents

This collection contains the Articles of Incorporation and by-laws for the Charlotte College Foundation as well as financial reports, minutes, and material related to various scholarship funds and awards and to the Charlotte Community College System.

Not included are records of the Foundation after its name was changed to UNC Charlotte Foundation. For these records, see the UNC Charlotte Foundation Records (UA0141). A small amount of material pre-dating the name change can also be found in UA0141 as well.

Dates

  • 1959-1965

Accessing the Collection

This collection is open for research.

Copyright

Copyright held by UNC Charlotte. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.

Administrative History

The Charlotte College Foundation was initially incorporated as the Charlotte Community College Foundation in 1960 after Addison H. Reese proposed that a committee of Charlotte Community College System trustees investigate the “formation of a foundation to provide a permanent vehicle by which individuals and business firms may contribute financial support to the Colleges.” The foundation was established as an independent entity, and an inaugural donation of $2,500 was given by North Carolina National Bank (NCNB). With the transition of Charlotte College to a four-year school and its disassociation with Carver College, the foundation became the Charlotte College Foundation in 1963. Two years later, Charlotte College became part of the University of North Carolina, and the foundation’s name was changed again to the UNC Charlotte Foundation.

This information taken from the “History” file in Box 1 of the UNC Charlotte Foundation Records (UA0141).

Chairmen of the Board of Directors of the Foundation through 1966:

December 6, 1960-April 9, 1962 – B.W. Barnard

April 9, 1962-June 17, 1963 – James G. Cannon

June 17, 1963-September 16, 1966 – W. H. Barnhardt

September 16, 1966 – Addison H. Reese

Extent

.209 Linear Feet (1 box [1 slim legal document case])

Related Materials

UNC Charlotte Foundation Records (UA0141)

Charlotte Community College System Records (UA0092)

Sponsored Programs files (RG 27-02-02)

Business Affairs, Subject Files (1958-1972)

Processing Information

With the exception of one file, which was pulled from the UNC Charlotte Foundation Records when that collection was merged, this collection was processed prior to being described by Olivia Eanes, archival assistant, in 2017.

Source

Title
Charlotte College Foundation records
Status
Completed
Author
Olivia Eanes
Date
December 2017
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the University Archives, J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections and University Archives, UNC Charlotte [All collections not yet online. For assistance, contact Special Collections: spec-coll@uncc.edu; 704-687-1170] Repository

Contact:
Atkins Library, UNC Charlotte
9201 University City Blvd
Charlotte NC 28223 United States