North Carolina State Engineering Extension Program records
Scope and Contents
Two single files make up the rest of the collection. The first relates to Duke Power Company and contains a publication about Duke Power's newest electrical plant, Allen, and materials relating to the tuition refund program at Charlotte College. The second file contains personnel information forms for individual faculty and is thus restricted. Please contact the University Archivist for access to these files.
- Lynch, Herbert A. (Person)
Accessing the Collection
The program was successful primarily because of Dr. Lynch's publicity of the program, but also because of the enthusiasm of local industry. Douglas Aircraft and Duke Power both encouraged their employees to attend by offering partial tuition payment, and Douglas conducted one of the courses at their plant since they had better equipment. Every effort was made by N.C. State College and Charlotte College to ensure that the quality of education in the engineering courses would be equal. The tuition from the course often was not sufficient to cover expenses, so N.C. State College paid Dr. Lynch's salary. Charlotte College also was reimbursed often for its expenses.
By the time Charlotte College became the University of North Carolina at Charlotte (1965) the engineering program was no longer an extension of North Carolina State University.
.417 Linear Feet (2 slim letter document cases)
- Carson, Robert G., Jr.
- Charlotte College -- Curricula
- Douglas Aircraft Company
- Duke Power Company
- Education, Higher -- North Carolina
- Engineering -- Study and teaching (Higher) -- North Carolina -- Charlotte
- Lampe, J. Harold
- Lynch, Herbert A.
- North Carolina State College -- Department of Engineering Research
- North Carolina State College -- Division of College Extension
- North Carolina State College -- Engineering Extension Program
- Personnel records
- Universities and colleges -- North Carolina -- Charlotte
- Universities and colleges -- North Carolina -- Raleigh
- University extension -- North Carolilna
- Lynch, Herbert A. (Person)
- North Carolina State College -- Engineering Extension Program (Organization)
- Carson, Robert G., Jr. (Person)
- Lampe, J. Harold (Person)
- North Carolina State Engineering Extension Program records
- Legacy description modified and additions made by Olivia Eanes
- December 2016
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the University Archives, J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections and University Archives, UNC Charlotte [All collections not yet online. For assistance, contact Special Collections: email@example.com; 704-687-1170] Repository
Atkins Library, UNC Charlotte
9201 University City Blvd
Charlotte NC 28223 United States