UNC Charlotte Special Collections J. Murrey Atkins Library - Special Collections & University Archives

Skip to main content

Charlotte College Center records

 Collection
Identifier: UA0033

Scope and Contents

This collection documents the functions of the Charlotte College Center of the University of North Carolina from 1946 to 1949, and includes correspondence, faculty records, examinations, instructor’s reports, financial reports, and memoranda. Other topics of interest include student government, athletics, the glee club, accreditation, buildings, specific courses, and the selection of community members such as Clarence Kuester, Murrey Atkins, and Henry Belk, Jr., for the formation of an advisory committee.

The correspondence files (folders 15-22), the bulk of which are between the Charlotte Center’s two directors and Charles E. McIntosh, assistant director of the UNC Extension Directorate, are arranged in chronological order and contain material relating to routine administrative matters as well as policy development and procedure establishment for the program. Other correspondents include faculty members and administrators at UNC-Chapel Hill; Dr. Elmer Garinger, associate superintendent of the Charlotte school system; staff members of various colleges and high schools; and officials of professional associations.

Separate files contain correspondence with North Carolina State College (folder 23), which sponsored and advised on engineering courses, and the Veterans Administration (folder 24), which paid the expenses of qualified veterans.

Files that contain material similar to that found in the correspondence files include "Memoranda to Instructors" (folders 57-58), "N. C. College Centers" (folder 60), and "N. C. College Center Memoranda" (folders 61-63). The latter memoranda consist of a numbered series of instructions issued by the Extension Directorate to establish uniform policies and procedures throughout the program. Among other topics discussed are: organization of the college center program and of the Charlotte center specifically; the appointment of the first faculty; financial problems; curriculum; admission and course requirements; the relationship of the center to the Charlotte city school system; and the campaign to establish a permanent institution.

Additional material on faculty recruitment will be found in "Faculty--Applications and Correspondence" (folder 38). The campaign to establish a permanent institution is further documented in files marked "Advisory Committee" (folder 3); "Student Opinion of CCUNC" (folder 75); and "Legislation" (folder 52), which includes a copy of the 1949 act authorizing the creation of the Charlotte Community College System.

Dates

  • 1946-1949

Creator

Accessing the Collection

This collection is open for research.

Copyright

Copyright held by UNC Charlotte. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.

Administrative History

The Charlotte College Center of the University of North Carolina was one of twelve centers established in 1946 to meet the educational needs of returning veterans. The centers were sponsored by the North Carolina College Conference and were administered by the Directorate of Extension of the University of North Carolina. Charles Bernard was named first director of the Charlotte Center, and Bonnie Cone succeeded him in 1947. Evening classes were held at Central High School, and instruction, initially limited to the freshman year, was offered at the freshman and sophomore levels beginning in 1947. Operating funds for the center came entirely from student tuition. When the conference withdrew its administrative support from the program in 1949, the Charlotte City School Board, recognizing the need for a permanent junior college in the area, assumed responsibility for the school and renamed it Charlotte College. A summary of the college center program was published in the UNC Extension Bulletin, vol. 29, no. 4, March 1949 (folder 60).

Extent

2.5 Linear Feet (2 record cartons)

Summary

Institutional papers of Charlotte College Center (1946-1949). Includes correspondence and other materials relating to administrative functions, policy development, procedure establishment, academics, athletics, and student involvement.

Related Materials

Charlotte Community College System Records (UA0092)

Cone (Bonnie Ethel) Papers (MS0112)

Kuester (Clarence O., Sr.) Papers (MS0443)

Garinger (Elmer Henry) Papers (MS0070)

Official transcripts and grades for students enrolled at the Charlotte College Center are on file at UNC-Chapel Hill according to a retention schedule approved for the Registrar's office on the UNC Charlotte campus in 1970 (page 13, item 2). The University Archives holds a negative microfilm copy of these records.

Processing Information

The files of Charlotte College Center, dating from early 1946 to mid-1949, have been maintained, for the most part, in their original order with original subject headings. Some rearrangement has been done to provide consistency in filing, but material on the same topic frequently may be found in both the correspondence and subject folders.

On 13 January 2017, four folders containing student grades were destroyed per retention schedule and conversation with Legal Affairs.
Title
Charlotte College Center records
Status
Completed
Author
Legacy description with modification by Olivia Eanes
Date
December 2016
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the University Archives, J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections and University Archives, UNC Charlotte [All collections not yet online. For assistance, contact Special Collections: spec-coll@uncc.edu; 704-687-1170] Repository

Contact:
Atkins Library, UNC Charlotte
9201 University City Blvd
Charlotte NC 28223 United States