Charlotte College Photographs
Scope and Contents
The photographic prints in this series originated in the Office of Information and from the photographic files of the Si Si, the college yearbook.
- Charlotte College (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Biographical / Historical
While this plan never came to fruition, Charlotte College did partner with public junior colleges in Asheville and Wilmington to win the creation of a state-financed system of community colleges. This campaign culminated in the Community College Act approved by the legislature in 1957. In accordance with this act, the Charlotte school board severed its administrative and financial ties to Charlotte College, and in 1958 Charlotte College became a state-supported, two-year college and was brought under the administration of the North Carolina Community College System. Funding for the system came from state appropriations, a special county property tax, and state and local bond issues. At the same time, a separate board of trustees, chaired by J. Murrey Atkins, was appointed for the Charlotte Community College System, which consisted of Charlotte College and its African-American counterpart, Carver College.
In February 1959, the Board purchased 270 acres on Highway 49 for the site of Charlotte College, which had shared facilities with Central High School in downtown Charlotte since 1946. In September 1961 the first two buildings—for liberal arts and science/engineering courses (later named the Macy and Kennedy buildings)—were occupied. The library and college union buildings were completed in 1962, and in 1963 the state of North Carolina purchased an additional 127 acres for Charlotte College. The following year, in the spring of 1964, a gift of about 500 acres by the Mecklenburg County Board of Commissioners expanded the site from 270 to 897 acres.
Bonnie E. Cone, who had been appointed director of the Charlotte College Center in 1947 and had been named director of Charlotte College, the Center’s successor, in 1949, became president of the College in 1961. In September of that year, the Governor's Commission on Education Beyond the High School, on which Bonnie Cone served, was appointed to determine whether the need for higher education facilities in populous areas warranted additional campuses of the university system. This commission’s work led to the suggestion that Charlotte College be incorporated as the fourth campus of the University of North Carolina.
In July 1963 the school became a four-year state-supported college subject to the terms of the State Colleges Act (General Statutes 116). J. Murrey Atkins was appointed chairman of the new board of trustees, but he died before taking office, leading to the appointment of Addison Hardcastle Reese as chairman.
At the time it enacted the State Colleges Act, the General Assembly also adopted procedures for the expansion of the Consolidated University. The executive committee of the Board of Trustees of the University of North Carolina designated Mecklenburg County as the first to be studied under the expansion procedures. University of North Carolina President William Friday appointed the Advisory Council on Educational Policy, which visited Charlotte College on February 12, 1964, to advise on the designation of Charlotte College as the fourth campus of the university system. The council recommended that Charlotte College become the fourth campus of the university, and the General Assembly approved this recommendation on March 3, 1965.
Charlotte College awarded its first and only baccalaureate degrees on June 6, 1965, and on July 1 of that year Charlotte College officially became the fourth campus of the Consolidated University system by act of the 1965 General Assembly.
1.877 Linear Feet (4 boxes [4 letter document cases])
In March 2017, the collection was reprocessed in preparation for digitization. The overall number of boxes housing the collection were consolidated to prevent additional physical curling to the photographs. A group of recently discovered photographs were integrated into the appropriate preexisting folders when possible, and three new folders were added to the collection to house the rest of the material. The folder structure of the collection was reassessed, with redundant folders being combined, other folders being split to reflect the two campus locations, and four post-1965 folders being moved to UA0066. Additionally, folders for three subjects - classes, faculty/staff, and students - were completely reprocessed at the item level and given a hierarchical folder structure (Classes, Classes--Creative Arts, Classes--Industrial Arts; Faculty/Staff--Alphabetical, Faculty/Staff--Cone, Bonnie, Faculty/Staff--Groups; and Students--Alphabetical and Students--Groups).
- Archival materials
- Buildings -- North Carolina -- Charlotte
- Charlotte (N.C.) -- Photographs
- Charlotte College
- Charlotte College -- Office of Information
- College athletes -- North Carolina -- Charlotte
- College buildings -- North Carolina -- Charlotte
- College sports -- North Carolina -- Charlotte
- College students -- North Carolina -- Charlotte
- Photographic prints
- Sisi (Charlotte, N.C.)
- Slides (photographs)
- Student activities -- North Carolina -- Charlotte
- Student government -- North Carolina -- Charlotte
- Universities and Colleges -- North Carolina -- Charlotte -- Employess
- Universities and colleges -- Faculty
- Universities and colleges -- North Carolina -- Charlotte
- Universities and colleges -- North Carolina -- Charlotte -- Faculty
- University of North Carolina (1793-1962). Board of Trustees
- Charlotte College photographs
- Olivia Eanes and Stacy Rue
- April 2017
- Description rules
- Language of description
Part of the University Archives, J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections and University Archives, UNC Charlotte [All collections not yet online. For assistance, contact Special Collections: firstname.lastname@example.org; 704-687-1170] Repository
Atkins Library, UNC Charlotte
9201 University City Blvd
Charlotte NC 28223 United States