Showing Collections: 1 - 2 of 2
Overview Papers of Andrew P. “Sam” Haywood, while the principal of West Charlotte High School documenting his advocacy of the open school philosophy in the 1974-75 academic year.
Dates: 1974 - 1975
Overview These interviews discuss the history and significance of open schools in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg school system. Coinciding with court-ordered busing and following a national trend in education, three optional open school programs were opened in Charlotte-Mecklenburg in the early 1970s, including Irwin Avenue Elementary School, Piedmont Middle School, and West Charlotte High School. From the beginning these schools were supported by a diverse parent body, including many community leaders, and...
Dates: 2002 - 2006
- Names: West Charlotte High School (Charlotte, N.C.) X
- Manuscript Collections, J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections and University Archives, UNC Charlotte 1
- Oral Histories, J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections and University Archives, UNC Charlotte 1
- Cassette tapes 1
- Education -- North Carolina 1
- Education, Elementary -- North Carolina -- Charlotte 1
- Education, Secondary -- North Carolina -- Charlotte 1
- Educational change -- North Carolina -- Charlotte 1