Showing Collections: 1 - 8 of 8
Overview Public papers of a Charlotte politician and civil rights leader. Primarily material created and received by Alexander as the first African-American member of the Charlotte City Council in the 20th Century (1965-74) and as a North Carolina state senator (1975-80). Includes minutes and other papers related to council and senate activities; material on campaigns and voter registration drives; files on the local, state, and national Democratic Party; correspondence; speeches; clippings;...
Dates: 1908, 1931-1998; 1946 - 1980
Overview Papers documenting the activities of the NAACP, with an emphasis on the work and correspondence of Kelly Alexander, Sr. and his sons Kelly Alexander, Jr. and Alfred Alexander. Includes papers from the National Board, the North Carolina chapter and the Charlotte chapter. Contains minutes, correspondence, reports, speeches, press releases, membership records, photographs, and memorabilia. Topics covered include school segregation, housing and employment discrimination and the Charlotte Area Fund.
Overview The William Burgess papers comprise records related to Burgess's work for the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Planning Commission and as Town Planner for the town of Davidson, North Carolina. Materials include notebooks, sketchbooks, and a range of architectural drawings.
Dates: circa 1980-2000
Overview Collection consists of discarded photographs, slides, and photocopies of pamphlets from Charlotte's Redevelopment Commission. Photographs are of neighborhoods, apartment complexes, streets, and roads before and after renewal projects. Photocopied pamplets advertise the Charlotte Redevelopment Commission, progress reports on urban renewal of Charlotte, N.C., and future projects for uptown Charlotte, N.C.
Overview Thereasa Delerine (T.D.) Elder is active in community nursing, church work, and the Charlotte African American community, particularly in efforts to preserve Charlotte's African American history. Materials document the importance of African Americans in politics and community, the value of a healthy and safe neighborhood, and access of education and employment.
Collection — Box: 1 [F09.066.02.04] - Shared, Folder: 1-5
Overview Material documenting Project Catalyst, a collaborative effort of the Citizens Forum and Johnson C. Smith University to revitalize the Biddleville/Five Points area surrounding the University in northwest Charlotte. Includes correspondence and memoranda, grant proposals, minutes and progress reports, and newspaper clippings. Orr served as the first chairperson of the Project Catalyst Task Force.
Dates: 1985-90, undated; 1986 - 1988
Overview Records of a homeowners association established in 1975 to revitalize Plaza-Midwood, one of Charlotte's early streetcar suburbs. Includes subject files, minutes, financial materials, clippings, and photographs relating to the association's activities and information on the history of the neighborhood from 1914 to 1949.
Dates: 1914 - 1991; 1975 - 1991
Overview Records documenting the operation of the Plaza Midwood office of a national, non-profit agency concerned with neighborhood revitalization. Includes correspondence, administrative files, analyses of rehabilitation needs, client files, financial records, clippings, and photographs.
Dates: 1978 - 1983
- Plaza-Midwood Neighborhood Association 2
- Alexander, Frederick Douglas 1
- Alexander, Kelly M. 1
- Burgess, Ansley 1
- Burgess, Warren L. 1
- Charlotte (N.C.). City Council 1
- Charlotte Redevelopment Commission 1
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Citizens Forum 1
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Planning Commission 1
- Chavis, Ben, 1948- 1
- Chi Eta Phi Sorority. Iota Chapter 1
- Elder, T. D. (Thereasea Delerine) 1
- Evers-Williams, Myrlie 1
- Hooks, Benjamin L. (Benjamin Lawson), 1925-2010 1
- Kaplan, Kivie, 1904-1975 1
- Mitchell, Clarence M. (Clarence Maurice), 1911-1984 1
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. Charlotte Branch. 1
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. North Carolina State Conference 1
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. North Carolina State Conference of Branches 1
- Neighborhood Housing Services of Charlotte (Charlotte, N.C.). Plaza-Midwood Neighborhood 1
- North Carolina. General Assembly. Senate 1
- Orr, Douglas Milton 1
- Project Catalyst (Charlotte, N.C.) 1
- Wilkins, Roy, 1901-1981 1 ∧ less