Showing Collections: 11 - 20 of 20
Overview Assorted papers related to David L. Howard's service primarily in local government in N.C. Also contains resumes, and a few personal papers such as his dayplanners. Included in the materials are clippings, brochures and booklets, materials collected at conferences and seminars or government meetings, also some digital material.
Dates: 1991 - 2016
Overview Papers of a Charlotte businessman and engineer relating to his role in promoting Charlotte College as a community college and technical institute and in securing for it status as a four year, state supported college. Includes minutes, reports, and recommendations of the Charlotte Chamber of Commerce Education Committee; correspondence with the State Advisory Budget Commission, other state government officials, and individuals in the University of North Carolina system; statistical and research...
Dates: 1941 - 1958
Overview Official papers as mayor of Charlotte (1979-83). Includes subject files, correspondence, and speeches relating to such topics as annexation, zoning, the proposed new coliseum, and transportation. Also includes some files of his predecessor, Kenneth R. Harris.
Dates: 1979 - 1983
Overview Primarily papers relating to his research on Ralph Ellison. Includes correspondence with Ellison and others, notes, articles, and information on Ellison's South Carolina ancestors. Also includes material from Lillard's 1989 Charlotte city council campaign and political campaign materials from the Charlotte area. There is a small collection of assorted bumper stickers included.
Dates: 1849 - 2000; 1967 - 1989
Overview Papers relating to his services as a member of the Mecklenburg Board of County Commissioners (1972-74) and as the principal organizer and president of the Spirit Square Development Group (1975-82). Includes correspondence, campaign material, reports, and newspaper clippings.
Dates: 1952, 1972-1982
Overview Frank McNinch was the mayor of Charlotte, NC from 1912 to 1917, and later was appointed to serve on the Federal Communications Commission in 1930, becoming its Chairman in 1933. In 1937, President Roosevelt appointed McNinch to be the Chairman of the Federal Power Commission. The collection contains mostly the papers he generated while working for these two federal commissions.
Dates: 1925 - 1951; 1930 - 1951
Overview Papers documenting the two mayoral terms (1987-91) of the first female mayor of Charlotte, N.C.
Dates: 1987 - 1991
Overview Papers of a Charlotte lawyer and politician, primarily documenting his membership on the Mecklenburg Board of County Commissioners (1978-84). Includes campaign files and material reflecting his special interests in human services, mental health, and roads. Also includes material from his earlier service on the Charlotte Housing Authority (1971-76).
Dates: 1971 - 1986
Overview Papers of Shaw, Charlotte mayor (1949-53), primarily related to his first term. Includes correspondence, speeches, clippings, memorabilia, photographs, and a recording of presidential candidate Dwight D. Eisenhower's campaign speech in Charlotte (1952).
Dates: 1894 - 1966; 1949 - 1953
Overview Papers documenting the two mayoral terms (1991-95) of Richard Vinroot as the mayor of Charlotte, N.C. The papers highlight the city council, the chamber of commerce, community development, consolidation of city and county government and services, crime (including drug enforcement and the police department), cultural relations (especially Charlotte's interaction with its "sister cities"), education, housing, municipal services (including compensation of city employees, reorganization of...
Dates: 1990 - 1995
- Subject: Charlotte (N.C.) -- Politics and government X
- Charlotte (N.C.). City Council 5
- Brookshire, Stanford R. 2
- Alexander, Frederick Douglas 1
- Barnes, Frank (Frank Carey) 1
- Baxter, H. H. (Herbert Hill) 1
- Belk, John M. 1
- Carolinas Stadium (Charlotte, N.C.) 1
- Charlotte (N.C.). Mayor's Community Relations Committee. Mayor's Community Relations Committee 1
- Charlotte (N.C.). Mayor's Friendly Relations Committee. Mayor's Friendly Relations Committee 1
- Charlotte Mecklenburg Public Access Corporation 1
- Charlotte Uptown Development Corporation (Charlotte, N.C.) 1
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Community Relations Committee (N.C.) 1
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Planning Commission 1
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department 1
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools 1
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools--Management 1
- Citizens for Effective Government (Charlotte, N.C.) 1
- Cityfair (Charlotte, N.C.) 1
- Clarkson family 1
- Ellison family 1
- Ellison, Ralph 1
- Frech, Laura Page 1
- Henry, Sue L. 1
- Howard, David L. 1
- Hunter, John M. (Jack) 1
- Hunter, Judy 1
- J. Murrey Atkins Library. University Archives 1
- Kennedy, W. A. (Woodford Armstrong) 1
- Knox, Eddie 1
- Lillard, Stewart 1
- McMillan, J. Alex 1
- McNinch, Frank R. (Frank Ramsay) 1
- McNinch, Huldah Groome 1
- Mecklenburg County (N.C.). Board of Commissioners 1
- Mecklenburg County Jail (Mecklenburg County, N.C.) 1
- Myrick, Sue 1
- North Carolina. General Assembly. Senate 1
- Ray, W. Thomas (William Thomas) 1
- Rising Moon Books & Beyond (Charlotte, N.C.) 1
- Shaw, Victor 1
- Smith, James Saxon 1
- Society of the Cincinnati 1
- Spirit Square Arts Center. Board of Directors--Records and correspondence. 1
- Theis, Frank R. 1
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte. Belk College of Business 1
- Vinroot, Richard 1 ∧ less