Showing Collections: 1 - 8 of 8
Overview The collection consists of papers generated primarily by Kelly M. Alexander, junior, as a result of his work with the NAACP at the local, state levels and national levels. Other papers in this collection were generated by Mrs. Margaret Alexander (widow of Kelly M. Alexander, senior), and Alfred Alexander (Kelly junior's brother) in his capacity as president of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Chapter of the NAACP. The collection contains a wide variety of documentation concerning nearly all aspects...
Overview The collection includes case files generated by Ferguson, Stein, Chambers, Gresham & Sumter Law Firm in the firm's work representing James Swann, one of the plaintiffs, on the Capacchione v. Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools case.
Overview Files of a Charlotte attorney and his firm, Chambers, Stein, Ferguson, and Lanning, relating to their representation of Darius and Vera Swann and other plaintiffs in the landmark case, Swann v. Charlotte-Mecklenburg Board of Education, in which the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that federal courts were constitutionally authorized to exercise broad powers to oversee and produce solutions to achieve school integration, which could include using student quotas as a...
Overview Records of a committee established in 1961 by the mayor of Charlotte to help ease racial tensions and to assist in the gradual desegregation of public facilities. Includes correspondence, minutes, and clippings relating to the committee and its predecessor, the Friendly Relations Committee. Also contains material from state and national groups, including the North Carolina Mayor's Cooperating Committee, North Carolina Good Neighbor Council, National Citizens Committee for Community Relations,...
Overview Papers of a Charlotte dentist, minister, and civil rights activist, who was the first African-American to run for governor of North Carolina. Consists chiefly of clippings and correspondence documenting his involvement in the desegregation of schools, public accommodations, hospitals, the North Carolina Dental Society, and the Shrine Bowl. Also includes information on voter registration projects, gubernatorial campaign files (1968 and 1972), material concerning Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.,...
Overview Papers of a Charlotte attorney relating to his defense of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Board of Education in the landmark case, Swann v. Charlotte-Mecklenburg Board of Education, in which the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that federal courts were constitutionally authorized to exercise broad powers to oversee and produce solutions to achieve school integration, which could include using student quotas as a starting point, and developing new attendance zones and busing policies to achieve more racially...
Overview This collection includes papers of Gerson Stroud, an educator and principal in the public school system in Charlotte, NC, in the second half of the twentieth century. His papers reflect his personal life and career in education, including his attention to assisting African-American youth.
Overview Papers, photographs, newspaper clippings, radio broadcast transcripts and sound recordings of Dr. Joseph Samuel Nathaniel Tross, a minister in the AME Zion Church, editor of the Charlotte Post, and civil rights leader in Charlotte, NC from the 1930s until his death in 1971.
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Board of Education 2
- African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church 1
- Alexander, Alfred L. (Alfred Louis) 1
- Alexander, Kelly M., Jr. 1
- Alexander, Margaret (Margaret Gilreece) 1
- Brookshire, Stanford R. 1
- Capacchione, Christine -- Trials, litigation, etc. 1
- Chambers, Julius L. (Julius LeVonne) 1
- Charlotte (N.C.). Mayor's Community Relations Committee. Mayor's Community Relations Committee 1
- Charlotte (N.C.). Mayor's Friendly Relations Committee. Mayor's Friendly Relations Committee 1
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Board of Education -- Trials, litigation, etc. 1
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Community Relations Committee (N.C.) 1
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools -- History 1
- Davis, Gregory 1
- Ferguson Stein Chambers Gresham & Sumter 1
- Ferguson Stein Chambers Gresham & Sumter -- Archives 1
- Hawkins, Reginald Armistice 1
- Horack, Benjamin S. (Benjamin Shambaugh) 1
- Johnson C. Smith University--History--20th century 1
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People 1
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. North Carolina State Conference of Branches 1
- Newsom, Lionel H. (Lionel Hodge) 1
- North Carolina Civil Liberties Union 1
- Omega Psi Phi Fraternity 1
- Second Ward High School National Alumni Foundation--Sources 1
- Smith, James Saxon 1
- Spears, Arthur (Arthur Eugene) 1
- Stroud family 1
- Stroud, Daisy S. (Daisy Spears) 1
- Stroud, Gerson L. 1
- Stroud, Jessie (Jessie Bomar) 1
- Tross, J. S. Nathaniel (Joseph Samuel Nathaniel) 1
- United States. Army. Infantry Division, 92nd 1
- West Charlotte High School (Charlotte, N.C.)--History--20th century 1 ∧ less