Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 13
Overview Records of Africana Studies Department (formerly African American and African Studies; originally Black Studies), Black Studies Committee, and Black Student Union at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. Collection contains files, photgraphs, audiovisuals, and ephemera that document the events leading up to the creation of the department and its subsequent evolution. Dr. Bertha Maxwell, the first department chair, Roberta Duff and Benjamin Chavis are prominent figures in the collection.
Dates: 1969-1984; 2008 - 2011
Overview Files of a Charlotte attorney and his firm, Chambers, Stein, Ferguson, and Lanning, relating to their representation of Darius and Vera Swann and other plaintiffs in the landmark case, Swann v. Charlotte-Mecklenburg Board of Education, in which the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that federal courts were constitutionally authorized to exercise broad powers to oversee and produce solutions to achieve school integration, which could include using student quotas as a...
Dates: 1902 - 1989; 1965 - 1975
Overview Minutes and correspondence documenting the work of an organization of local colleges and universities.
Dates: 1973 - 1996
Summary Records of Charlotte College. Consists primarily of Bonnie Cone's files including speeches and correspondence, but also includes files relating to the Board of Trustees, financial matters, the development of campus, growth of academic programs, and the transition of the college from temporary to permanent junior college status and on to its establishment as the fourth campus of the University of North Carolina at Charlotte.
Dates: 1946-1967, 2004-2005; 1949-1965
Overview The interviews focus on the educational experiences of members of the African American community of Charlotte during the era of segregation. Many interviewees also discuss how things changed once segregation ended and their children’s school experiences.
Dates: 2004 - 2005
Overview Papers of a Charlotte dentist, minister, and civil rights activist, who was the first African-American to run for governor of North Carolina. Consists chiefly of clippings and correspondence documenting his involvement in the desegregation of schools, public accommodations, hospitals, the North Carolina Dental Society, and the Shrine Bowl. Also includes information on voter registration projects, gubernatorial campaign files (1968 and 1972), material concerning Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.,...
Dates: 1954 - 1995; 1954 - 1987
Scope and Contents This collection contains materials related to the development and administration of the Health Services Research Academy at UNC Charlotte. Materials include agendas, minutes, annual reports and correspondence of the Academy's steering committee. The records also highlight several events and activities developed and sponsored by the Academy.
Dates: 1993 - 2005
Overview Papers of a Charlotte attorney relating to his defense of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Board of Education in the landmark case, Swann v. Charlotte-Mecklenburg Board of Education, in which the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that federal courts were constitutionally authorized to exercise broad powers to oversee and produce solutions to achieve school integration, which could include using student quotas as a starting point, and developing new attendance zones and busing policies to achieve more racially...
Dates: 1918 - 1984; 1968 - 1971
Overview Native Charlotteans Jimmie Lee Kirkpatrick and De Kirkpatrick discuss their ongoing journey together after discovering that their family histories were interwoven through the institution of slavery. Although they were both classmates at Myers Park High School in the mid-1960s, it was not until almost fifty years later that a newspaper article recounting the injustice Jimmie Lee had faced as a thwarted contender for the Shrine Bowl brought the two classmates into contact with each other. As...
Dates: 2017-10 - 2017-11
Overview The records of the North Carolina College Personnel Association includes annual conference materials, bylaws, correspondence, financial material, membership information, minutes and reports, since its inception in 1966. Additions to the collections are periodically made as newer records become available.
Dates: 1965 - 2008
- Subject: Education -- North Carolina X
- Manuscript Collections, J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections and University Archives, UNC Charlotte 7
- University Archives, J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections and University Archives, UNC Charlotte [All collections not yet online. For assistance, contact Special Collections: firstname.lastname@example.org; 704-687-1170] 3
- Oral Histories, J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections and University Archives, UNC Charlotte 3
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Board of Education 3
- J. Murrey Atkins Library (University of North Carolina at Charlotte) 2
- Central Piedmont Community College (Charlotte, N.C.) 1
- Chambers, Julius L. (Julius LeVonne) 1
- Charlotte Area Educational Consortium 1
- Charlotte College 1
- Cone, Bonnie E. , 1907-2003 1
- Davis, Gregory 1
- Hawkins, Reginald Armistice 1
- Horack, Benjamin S. (Benjamin Shambaugh) 1
- Irwin Avenue Open School (Charlotte, N.C.) 1
- North Carolina College Personnel Association 1
- North Carolina. General Assembly 1
- Piedmont Junior High School (Charlotte, N.C.) 1
- Reese, Addison H. (Addison Hardcastle) 1
- University of North Carolina (1793-1962). Board of Trustees 1
- University of North Carolina (System) 1
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte 1
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte--History 1
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte. College of Health and Human Services 1
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte. Department of Africana Studies 1
- West Charlotte High School (Charlotte, N.C.) 1 ∧ less