Showing Collections: 1 - 8 of 8
Overview Records of Africana Studies Department (formerly African American and African Studies; originally Black Studies), Black Studies Committee, and Black Student Union at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. Collection contains files, photgraphs, audiovisuals, and ephemera that document the events leading up to the creation of the department and its subsequent evolution. Dr. Bertha Maxwell, the first department chair, Roberta Duff and Benjamin Chavis are prominent figures in the collection.
Dates: 1969 - 2020
Overview The Black Alumni oral history project documents UNC Charlotte's Black Alumni by collecting first-hand accounts of the lives of Black students over the decades. This alumni-driven project was inspired by interviews we have already gathered, notably that of James Cuthbertson, Jr., who was a member of the Black Student Union in the late 1960s and early 1970s.
Dates: 2020 - 2021
Overview Files of a Charlotte attorney and his firm, Chambers, Stein, Ferguson, and Lanning, relating to their representation of Darius and Vera Swann and other plaintiffs in the landmark case, Swann v. Charlotte-Mecklenburg Board of Education, in which the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that federal courts were constitutionally authorized to exercise broad powers to oversee and produce solutions to achieve school integration, which could include using student quotas as a...
Dates: 1902 - 1989; 1965 - 1975
Summary Records of Charlotte College. Consists primarily of Bonnie Cone's files including speeches and correspondence, but also includes files relating to the Board of Trustees, financial matters, the development of campus, growth of academic programs, and the transition of the college from temporary to permanent junior college status and on to its establishment as the fourth campus of the University of North Carolina at Charlotte.
Dates: 1946-1967, 2004-2005; 1949-1965
Overview Papers of a Charlotte dentist, minister, and civil rights activist, who was the first African-American to run for governor of North Carolina. Consists chiefly of clippings and correspondence documenting his involvement in the desegregation of schools, public accommodations, hospitals, the North Carolina Dental Society, and the Shrine Bowl. Also includes information on voter registration projects, gubernatorial campaign files (1968 and 1972), material concerning Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.,...
Dates: 1954 - 1995; 1954 - 1987
Scope and Contents This collection contains materials related to the development and administration of the Health Services Research Academy at UNC Charlotte. Materials include agendas, minutes, annual reports and correspondence of the Academy's steering committee. The records also highlight several events and activities developed and sponsored by the Academy.
Dates: 1993 - 2005
Overview Papers of a Charlotte attorney relating to his defense of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Board of Education in the landmark case, Swann v. Charlotte-Mecklenburg Board of Education, in which the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that federal courts were constitutionally authorized to exercise broad powers to oversee and produce solutions to achieve school integration, which could include using student quotas as a starting point, and developing new attendance zones and busing policies to achieve more racially...
Dates: 1918 - 1984; 1968 - 1971
Overview Papers of a key supporter of UNC Charlotte, relating to his membership on the boards of Charlotte College and UNCC, the UNC system, and other state-wide groups concerned with higher education. Includes material concerning the case of Wynn v. Charlotte Community College System involving the construction of separate campuses for predominately white Charlotte College and predominately black Carver College (1958-61); the East Carolina Medical School controversy (1970-74); and the restructuring of...
Dates: 1951 - 1977; 1957 - 1976
- Subject: Education -- North Carolina -- Charlotte X
- Manuscript Collections, J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections and University Archives, UNC Charlotte 4
- University Archives, J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections and University Archives, UNC Charlotte [All collections not yet online. For assistance, contact Special Collections: firstname.lastname@example.org; 704-687-1170] 3
- Oral Histories, J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections and University Archives, UNC Charlotte 1
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Board of Education 2
- Central Piedmont Community College (Charlotte, N.C.) 1
- Chambers, Julius L. (Julius LeVonne) 1
- Charlotte College 1
- Cone, Bonnie E. , 1907-2003 1
- Davis, Gregory 1
- Hawkins, Reginald Armistice 1
- Horack, Benjamin S. (Benjamin Shambaugh) 1
- J. Murrey Atkins Library (University of North Carolina at Charlotte) 1
- North Carolina. General Assembly 1
- Reese, Addison H. (Addison Hardcastle) 1
- University of North Carolina (1793-1962). Board of Trustees 1
- University of North Carolina (System) 1
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte 1
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte--History 1
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte. Black Student Union 1
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte. College of Health and Human Services 1
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte. Department of Africana Studies 1 ∧ less