Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 12
Overview The collection consists of papers generated primarily by Kelly M. Alexander, junior, as a result of his work with the NAACP at the local, state and national levels. Other papers in this collection were generated by Mrs. Margaret Alexander (widow of Kelly M. Alexander, senior), and Alfred Alexander (Kelly junior's brother) in his capacity as president of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Chapter of the NAACP. The collection contains a wide variety of documentation concerning nearly all aspects of the...
Dates: 1953 - 2008
Overview Papers documenting the activities of the NAACP, with an emphasis on the work and correspondence of Kelly Alexander, Sr. and his sons Kelly Alexander, Jr. and Alfred Alexander. Includes papers from the National Board, the North Carolina chapter and the Charlotte chapter. Contains minutes, correspondence, reports, speeches, press releases, membership records, photographs, and memorabilia. Topics covered include school segregation, housing and employment discrimination and the Charlotte Area Fund.
Overview The collection includes case files generated by Ferguson, Stein, Chambers, Gresham & Sumter Law Firm in the firm's work representing James Swann, one of the plaintiffs, on the Capacchione v. Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools case.
Dates: 1997 - 2001
Overview Files of a Charlotte attorney and his firm, Chambers, Stein, Ferguson, and Lanning, relating to their representation of Darius and Vera Swann and other plaintiffs in the landmark case, Swann v. Charlotte-Mecklenburg Board of Education, in which the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that federal courts were constitutionally authorized to exercise broad powers to oversee and produce solutions to achieve school integration, which could include using student quotas as a...
Dates: 1902 - 1989; 1965 - 1975
Overview Papers of Andrew P. “Sam” Haywood, while the principal of West Charlotte High School documenting his advocacy of the open school philosophy in the 1974-75 academic year.
Dates: 1974 - 1975
Overview Papers of a Charlotte attorney relating to his defense of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Board of Education in the landmark case, Swann v. Charlotte-Mecklenburg Board of Education, in which the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that federal courts were constitutionally authorized to exercise broad powers to oversee and produce solutions to achieve school integration, which could include using student quotas as a starting point, and developing new attendance zones and busing policies to achieve more racially...
Dates: 1918 - 1984; 1968 - 1971
Overview Collection contains the papers of Charles A. McLean, primarily during his work as an officer of the North Carolina NAACP. Other papers were produced as a result of his business activities or by his family.
Overview This manuscript collection was accumulated by Dr. A. Roslyn Mickelson, a professor of Sociology at the University of North Carolina Charlotte, in her role as an expert witness in litigation between the Charlotte Mecklenburg School system and the parents of Christina Capacchione. Other papers include those concerning IBM Education Village and Mickelson's research in school-to-work research.
Dates: 1959 - 2005
Collection — Box: SFC4 [F09.090.03.02], Folder: 413
Overview The N.C. School Desegregation collection, 1955-1956 (mss 413), is a small assortment (one folder) of mostly published material, generated by the faction that was opposed to the racial desegregation of public schools. The organizer of this material is not known.
Dates: 1955 - 1956
Overview Papers of the chair of the Citizens Advisory Group (CAG), formed in 1973 to develop pupil assignment guidelines for integrating Charlotte-Mecklenburg schools. Includes clippings, correspondence, findings and recommendations, reports, worksheets, notes, the CAG plan for pupil reassignment, and the joint proposal for school assignment that was ultimately approved.
Dates: 1972 - 1974
- Subject: School integration -- North Carolina X
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Board of Education 4
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools 4
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People 2
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. North Carolina State Conference of Branches 2
- Alexander, Alfred L. (Alfred Louis) 1
- Alexander, Kelly M. 1
- Alexander, Kelly M., Jr. 1
- Alexander, Margaret (Margaret Gilreece) 1
- Capacchione, Christine 1
- Capacchione, Christine -- Trials, litigation, etc. 1
- Chambers, Julius L. (Julius LeVonne) 1
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Board of Education -- Trials, litigation, etc. 1
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Board of Education--Trials, litigation, etc. 1
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools -- History 1
- Chavis, Ben, 1948- 1
- Evers-Williams, Myrlie 1
- Ferguson Stein Chambers Gresham & Sumter 1
- Ferguson Stein Chambers Gresham & Sumter -- Archives 1
- Haywood, Andrew Perry 1
- Hooks, Benjamin L. (Benjamin Lawson), 1925-2010 1
- Horack, Benjamin S. (Benjamin Shambaugh) 1
- J. Murrey Atkins Library (University of North Carolina at Charlotte) 1
- Kaplan, Kivie, 1904-1975 1
- McLean, Charles A. 1
- Mickelson, Roslyn Arlin 1
- Mitchell, Clarence M. (Clarence Maurice), 1911-1984 1
- Myers Park Traditional Elementary School (Charlotte, N.C.) 1
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. Charlotte Branch. 1
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. North Carolina State Conference 1
- North Carolina Civil Liberties Union 1
- North Carolina. Dept. of Public Instruction 1
- Ray, Maggie W. (Margaret Whitton) 1
- Swann, James E. 1
- Waggoner, William J. 1
- West Charlotte High School (Charlotte, N.C.) 1
- Wilkins, Roy, 1901-1981 1
- Woods, Louise S. 1 ∧ less