Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 20
Summary Records from the Office of the Chancellor concerning installations of Chancellors Colvard, Fretwell, Woodward, and Dubois.
Dates: 1966 - 2006
Overview The Charlotte Jewish Historical Society, a project of the Carolina Agency for Jewish Education, collected these interviews, which are part of a much larger collection. The interviews feature prominent members of Charlotte's Jewish community who discuss the Jewish experience in the Queen City and chronicle the many changes they've seen throughout the twentieth century.
Dates: 1989 - 2000
Overview This collection represents a wide-ranging mix of interviews that were conducted between the 1970s and the early 2000s to document many aspects of life and culture in the Charlotte region. Interviewees include prominent individuals from the Charlotte area such as journalists, business leaders, and activists, as well as many ordinary citizens representing different sectors of Charlotte society during the twentieth century.
Dates: 1965 - 2013
Overview The Civil Rights and Desegregation in Charlotte oral history collection is a grouping of interviews that were conducted by UNC Charlotte Atkins Library Special Collections staff with activists for civil rights in the Charlotte area. The interviewees include prominent local members of the NAACP, as well as a high school principal, a civil rights lawyer, and a church minister.
Dates: 2001 - 2006
Scope and Contents For the Cultivating Common Ground project, middle and high school youth from the Wilmore neighborhood in Charlotte, NC, interviewed the senior citizens who work in their neighborhood's community garden. The teens documented the seniors' life stories and their interest in gardening on video and audio and also through photography.
Dates: 2001 - 2002
Overview The interviews focus on the educational experiences of members of the African American community of Charlotte during the era of segregation. Many interviewees also discuss how things changed once segregation ended and their children’s school experiences.
Dates: 2004 - 2005
Overview Albums include material on the Jewish faith and culture, labor relations, political issues of the 1960s, and music. There are recordings from radio and television broadcasts which featured Golden or Carl Sandburg.
Overview The interviews in this collection chronicle the significant changes that occurred in the Charlotte region from the 1930s to the beginning of the 21st century and were conducted by students in Dr. David Goldfield's history classes between 1990 and 2006.
Overview In this series of sixteen interviews, Gail E. Haley, a prolific author born in Charlotte, North Carolina and the first of only two authors to win the American Caldecott Medal and the British Kate Greenaway Medal for picture book illustration, discusses her life and career as a children’s author and illustrator. Throughout the interviews, Ms. Haley describes her artistic process, detailing her inspirations and research as well as techniques she employed and pioneered in order to illustrate her...
Dates: 2005 - 2009
Overview Native Charlotteans Jimmie Lee Kirkpatrick and De Kirkpatrick discuss their ongoing journey together after discovering that their family histories were interwoven through the institution of slavery. Although they were both classmates at Myers Park High School in the mid-1960s, it was not until almost fifty years later that a newspaper article recounting the injustice Jimmie Lee had faced as a thwarted contender for the Shrine Bowl brought the two classmates into contact with each other. As...
Dates: 2017-10 - 2017-11
- Subject: Sound recordings X
- Oral Histories, J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections and University Archives, UNC Charlotte 17
- University Archives, J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections and University Archives, UNC Charlotte [All collections not yet online. For assistance, contact Special Collections: email@example.com; 704-687-1170] 2
- Manuscript Collections, J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections and University Archives, UNC Charlotte 1
- Woodward, James H. (University chancellor) 2
- Bulow, Harry 1
- Colvard, Dean W., 1913-2007 1
- Cone, Bonnie E. , 1907-2003 1
- Dubois, Philip L. 1
- Fretwell, E. K., 1923-2012 1
- Golden, Harry, 1902-1981 1
- Haley, Gail E. 1
- Irwin Avenue Open School (Charlotte, N.C.) 1
- Levine Museum of the New South 1
- Piedmont Junior High School (Charlotte, N.C.) 1
- Scoggin, Robert E. (Robert Echols) 1
- Sutcliffe, James Helme 1
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte 1
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte -- Students 1
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte--History 1
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte. Department of Music 1
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte. Office of the Chancellor 1
- Valerio, John 1
- West Charlotte High School (Charlotte, N.C.) 1 ∧ less