Showing Collections: 1 - 7 of 7
Overview Consists mostly of the correspondence of William Davidson Alexander, Susan Amelia Ramsey Alexander and James Gettys McGready Ramsey. Includes letters, deeds, estates records and genealogical information.
Dates: 1815 - 1940; 1860 - 1879
Overview Primarily material about Hezekiah Alexander (1728-1801), member of a large and influential family that settled in Mecklenburg County in the 1760s. Includes transcriptions and photocopies of his will, estate inventory, and survey map of his property; material relating to the preservation of his home, built in 1774 and the oldest surviving building in Mecklenburg County; and genealogical information. Also includes a photograph of John Graham's diploma (1778) from Liberty Hall Academy.
Dates: 1778 - 1969; 1778 - 1806
Overview Contains documents related to Zechariah Alexander's work with the Freemasons and Shriners. There is also material related to the Alexander Funeral Home, including newsletters and business correspondence.
Dates: 1930 - 1980
Overview Papers of William Tasse Alexander and his descendants in the Mallard Creek area of Mecklenburg County, North Carolina. Consists primarily of records relating to the operation of the family plantation, including deeds and other legal papers, financial accounts, and information on cotton production and enslaved people. Also includes correspondence, an 1882 school register, genealogical material, clippings, photographs, and early twentieth century postcards of Charlotte. A portion of the 19th...
Dates: 1818 - 2000
Overview Papers of the Davidson family of Rural Hill Plantation in northern Mecklenburg County, N.C., and of the related families Alexander, Barry, Hampton, Montieth, and Wilson. Includes correspondence, family Bibles, financial records, land records, newspaper clippings, photographs, and plantation records for Rural Hill, as well as Dickson (Dixon) in Gaston County, N.C.
Dates: 1756 - 1998; 1833 - 1976
Overview Thirty-page typescript transcription of the Civil War memoirs of Nicholas Biddle Gibbon, written between 1861 and 1866, and describing his service in North Carolina and Virginia as a drill master and commissary in the 1st and 28th North Carolina Regiments. Also includes genealogical information about Gibbon's family and that of his wife, Harriet Cornelia Alexander, a descendant of Hezekiah Alexander. All materials are reproductions.
Dates: 1799 - 2000
Overview The collection contains research notes and drafts of Preyer's book "Hezekiah Alexander and the Revolution in the Backcountry." Additionally, there are articles and research on the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence and the Mecklenburg Resolves, minutes and memos from his time serving on the Latta Plantation Executive Board, the Museum of the New South Committee and the Hugh Torance House and Store. There are also teaching material and documents related to African American history, which...
Dates: 1933-2010; 1972 - 2002
- Names: Alexander family X
- Mecklenburg County (N.C.) 3
- Plantations -- North Carolina -- Mecklenburg County 2
- African American fraternal organizations -- North Carolina -- Charlotte 1
- African American freemasons -- North Carolina -- Charlotte 1
- African Americans--History 1
- Charlotte (N.C.) -- Pictorial works 1
- Civil rights workers -- North Carolina -- Charlotte 1
- Correspondence 1
- Cotton growing -- North Carolina -- Mecklenburg County 1
- Documents 1
- Freemasons -- North Carolina -- Charlotte 1
- Funeral homes -- North Carolina -- Charlotte 1
- Gaston County (N.C.) 1
- Historic sites -- North Carolina -- Charlotte 1
- Historic sites -- North Carolina -- Mecklenburg County 1
- Knoxville (Tenn.) 1
- Land titles -- North Carolina -- Mecklenburg County 1
- Mallard Creek (Mecklenburg County, N.C. : Community) 1
- Mallard Creek (Mecklenburg County, N.C. : Community) -- Social life and customs 1
- Mecklenburg County (N.C.) -- Genealogy 1
- Mecklenburg County (N.C.) -- Social life and customs 1
- Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence 1
- Memorandums 1
- Newsletters 1
- North Carolina -- 1775-1865 1
- North Carolina -- Genealogy 1
- Plantation life -- North Carolina -- Mecklenburg County 1
- Plantations -- North Carolina -- Gaston County 1
- Proceedings 1
- Railroads -- Tennessee 1
- Real property -- North Carolina -- Mecklenburg County 1
- Slave records -- North Carolina -- Mecklenburg County 1
- Tennessee 1
- Undertakers and undertaking -- North Carolina -- Charlotte 1
- United States -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives 1
- United States -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives, Confederate 1
- United States -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Women 1
- United States -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783 1
- Women -- Confederate States of America -- Social conditions 1 ∧ less