Showing Collections: 1 - 6 of 6
Overview Public papers of a Charlotte politician and civil rights leader. Primarily material created and received by Alexander as the first African-American member of the Charlotte City Council in the 20th Century (1965-74) and as a North Carolina state senator (1975-80). Includes minutes and other papers related to council and senate activities; material on campaigns and voter registration drives; files on the local, state, and national Democratic Party; correspondence; speeches; clippings;...
Overview The collection concerns primarily Dr. Frank Barnes’ leadership of a conservative “watch-dog” group known as Citizens for Effective Government, in Charlotte, North Carolina, from the late 1980s to 1995. It also includes records Barnes kept once he retired from the CEFG, 1995-2001. The CFEG lobbied for minimization of local government bureaucracy and taxes.
Overview Photocopies of scrapbooks kept by Baxter, Charlotte mayor (1943-49) and city council member (1935-41, 1951-59). Includes correspondence, clippings, speeches, and other material relating primarily to his political and civic activities.
Overview Primarily financial records concerning appropriations and expenditures of the city government, 1890s-1920s. Includes material relating to the overall budget and to schools, taxes, business licenses, payrolls, and Elmwood and Pinewood cemeteries. Also includes a copy of the petition (1919) to incorporate Myers Park and photographs of 25 mayors (ca. 1853-ca. 1953) and of 8 city commissioners (ca. 1917-ca. 1925).
Overview Papers of a Charlotte educator and politician, documenting her service as city council member for district 4 (1977-1985). Includes correspondence, reports, and financial data relating to such issues as the controversy over a site for the new coliseum, planning, and neighborhood preservation, especially in regard to zoning problems due to church expansion.
Overview Primarily demographic studies conducted as a volunteer and paid consultant for such organizations as the Boy Scouts of America, Charlotte Chamber of Commerce, and Health and Hospital Council. Also contains a small amount of material relating to his work as State Forecast and Rate Supervisor for Southern Bell and his service as a member of the Charlotte City Council (1977-83).
- Names: Charlotte (N.C.). City Council X
- Charlotte (N.C.) -- Politics and government 4
- Mecklenburg County (N.C.) 2
- Bonds -- North Carolina -- Charlotte 1
- Charlotte (N.C.) -- History -- 20th century 1
- Charlotte (N.C.) -- Politics and government -- 20th century 1
- Charlotte Observer (Charlotte, N.C. : 1916) 1
- City planning -- North Carolina -- Charlotte 1
- Elections -- North Carolina -- Charlotte 1
- Mayors -- North Carolina -- Charlotte 1
- Municipal government -- North Carolina -- Charlotte 1
- Neighborhood government -- North Carolina -- Charlotte 1
- North Carolina -- Genealogy 1
- Public records -- North Carolina -- Charlotte 1
- Public schools -- North Carolina -- Mecklenburg County 1
- Urban renewal -- North Carolina -- Charlotte 1
- Zoning -- North Carolina -- Charlotte 1 ∧ less