Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Overview Files of a Charlotte attorney and his firm, Chambers, Stein, Ferguson, and Lanning, relating to their representation of Darius and Vera Swann and other plaintiffs in the landmark case, Swann v. Charlotte-Mecklenburg Board of Education, in which the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that federal courts were constitutionally authorized to exercise broad powers to oversee and produce solutions to achieve school integration, which could include using student quotas as a...
Dates: 1902 - 1989; 1965 - 1975
Overview The Civil Rights and Desegregation in Charlotte oral history collection is a grouping of interviews that were conducted by UNC Charlotte Atkins Library Special Collections staff with activists for civil rights in the Charlotte area. The interviewees include prominent local members of the NAACP, as well as a high school principal, a civil rights lawyer, and a church minister.
Dates: 2001 - 2006
Overview Papers of a Charlotte attorney relating to his defense of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Board of Education in the landmark case, Swann v. Charlotte-Mecklenburg Board of Education, in which the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that federal courts were constitutionally authorized to exercise broad powers to oversee and produce solutions to achieve school integration, which could include using student quotas as a starting point, and developing new attendance zones and busing policies to achieve more racially...
Dates: 1918 - 1984; 1968 - 1971
Overview This collection includes papers of Gerson Stroud, an educator and principal in the public school system in Charlotte, NC, in the second half of the twentieth century. His papers reflect his personal life and career in education, including his attention to assisting African-American youth.
Dates: 1905 - 2004
- Subject: Charlotte (N.C.) -- Race relations -- History -- 20th century X
- Manuscript Collections, J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections and University Archives, UNC Charlotte 3
- Oral Histories, J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections and University Archives, UNC Charlotte 1
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Board of Education 2
- Chambers, Julius L. (Julius LeVonne) 1
- Horack, Benjamin S. (Benjamin Shambaugh) 1
- Johnson C. Smith University--History--20th century 1
- Newsom, Lionel H. (Lionel Hodge) 1
- Omega Psi Phi Fraternity 1
- Second Ward High School National Alumni Foundation--Sources 1
- Spears, Arthur (Arthur Eugene) 1
- Stroud family 1
- Stroud, Daisy S. (Daisy Spears) 1
- Stroud, Gerson L. 1
- Stroud, Jessie (Jessie Bomar) 1
- United States. Army. Infantry Division, 92nd 1
- West Charlotte High School (Charlotte, N.C.)--History--20th century 1 ∧ less