Showing Collections: 1 - 8 of 8
Overview The collection concerns primarily Dr. Frank Barnes’ leadership of a conservative “watch-dog” group known as Citizens for Effective Government, in Charlotte, North Carolina, from the late 1980s to 1995. It also includes records Barnes kept once he retired from the CEFG, 1995-2001. The CFEG lobbied for minimization of local government bureaucracy and taxes.
Overview The collection contains papers produced by Jack Claiborne over the course of his career in journalism and media communications, beginning in 1941 and spanning until his retirement as the Associate Vice Chancellor of Public Relations at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte in 2000 (a few items come after that date). The collection also includes many of the speeches he delivered at public events, editorials he wrote while working for the Charlotte Observer, and research notes and drafts...
Overview Papers of Harriet Doar, a newspaper journalist, author, poet, and social commentator, whose work primarily was published in the Charlotte News from 1939 to 1946, and the Charlotte Observer from 1959 to 1982. This collection also includes her articles, correspondence, notes on other writers, and research subject files from the mid to late twentieth century.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of LGBTQ publications produced in Charlotte, North Carolina. The bulk of the material comprises newsletters.
First Tuesday(1989-1992), represents the largest and most comprehensive run in the collection (18 issues). Additional titles include
North Carolina lesbian and gay pride(1993-1994), and
Overview Original cartoons by an editorial cartoonist for The Charlotte Observer (1958 71, 1978 present) and WSOC TV (1971 78). Includes reprints of his 1968 Pulitzer Prize-winning cartoons. Papers of an editor of The Charlotte News (1949-54) and The Charlotte Observer (1955-76). Consists primarily of material relating to his service as editor of The Observer and as president and project director for the American Society of Newspaper Editors. Also includes material about his association with the...
Overview Original cartoons by an editorial cartoonist for The Charlotte Observer (1958-1971, returning in 1978) and WSOC-TV (1971-1978). Includes reprints of his 1968 Pulitzer Prize-winning cartoons.
Overview Black and white photographs (many with negatives) taken by photographic essayist, Steve Perille.
Overview Primarily papers of Ella Hargrove Sayre Sullivan Robinson, a Montgomery, Ala., native who married Walter Bernard Sullivan (1885-1921), co-owner of The Columbia Record (1912-15) and The Charlotte Observer (1916-21). Includes business records and family papers (ca. 1846-ca. 1900) of the Sayre family; Robinson's correspondence and financial records as a young woman, wife, and widow; and some financial records (1912-1922) of The Charlotte Observer.
- Subject: Charlotte Observer (Charlotte, N.C. : 1916) X
- American Society of Newspaper Editors 1
- Barnes, Frank (Frank Carey) 1
- Carolinas Stadium (Charlotte, N.C.) 1
- Charlotte (N.C.). City Council 1
- Charlotte Mecklenburg Public Access Corporation 1
- Charlotte Uptown Development Corporation (Charlotte, N.C.) 1
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department 1
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools 1
- Citizens for Effective Government (Charlotte, N.C.) 1
- Cityfair (Charlotte, N.C.) 1
- Claiborne, Jack 1
- Doar, Harriet 1
- Lineberger, Clayton Sayre Sullivan 1
- Lineberger, Ella Hargrove Sayre 1
- Logsdon, Darryl 1
- McKnight, C. A. 1
- Mecklenburg County Jail (Mecklenburg County, N.C.) 1
- Payne, Eugene G. 1
- Perille, Steve 1
- Sayre family 1
- Southern Education Reporting Service 1
- Sullivan family 1
- Sullivan, Ella Sayre 1
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte--History 1
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte. Belk College of Business 1 ∧ less