Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Overview Papers of a lawyer and conservative political activist, including records of his law practice in Charlotte, North Carolina and his service as an attorney at the U.S. Dept. of Education and the U.S. Dept. of Justice during the Reagan and Bush administrations. Includes correspondence documenting his involvement with various conservative political and religious groups, including the North Carolina Conservative Union, the North Carolina Fund for Individual Rights, the Southern Employees Education...
Overview Primarily routine correspondence of a state senator from Mecklenburg County and U.S. Circuit Court judge. Includes letters from presidents Kennedy and Johnson and from members of the federal judiciary. Also includes items relating to his attempt (1957) to establish the North Carolina Stonewall Jackson Memorial Fund.
Overview Papers documenting Helms' service on the Mecklenburg Board of County Commissioners, the North Carolina General Assembly, Arts and Science Council, Charlotte Center City Partners, Drug and Alcohol Fighting Back Commission and the North Carolina Bar Association. Includes correspondence, meeting minutes, budget information and speech material. Also includes a series of subject files related to Mecklenburg County government.
Overview Papers of a Charlotte attorney relating to her successful representation of the plantiff in Gingles v. Edmisten, in which the US Supreme Court unanimously ruled that the state of North Carolina illegally weakened the voting power of African-Americans in state house elections in Mecklenburg and five other legislative districts. Includes pleadings, briefs, transcripts of court proceedings, depositions and affidavits of witnesses, exhibits, research material and notes, maps, correspondence,...
- Subject: North Carolina -- Politics and government -- 20th century X
- Arts and Science Council (Charlotte, N.C.) 1
- Beard, Hugh Joseph 1
- Bell, J. Spencer (Jesse Spencer) 1
- Helms, H. Parks 1
- Johnson, Lyndon B. (Lyndon Baines) 1
- Kennedy, John F. (John Fitzgerald) 1
- Mecklenburg County (N.C.). Board of Commissioners 1
- North Carolina. General Assembly. Senate 1
- Pro-Life Alliance of Gays and Lesbians 1
- United States. Department of Education. Office of the General Counsel 1
- United States. Department of Justice. Civil Rights Division 1
- Winner, Leslie J. 1 ∧ less